Greater St. Louis Community Foundation – Building Renovations @ Oak Knoll Drive
Renovations to a 1929 stone mansion that was the original home of the St. Louis Science Center. The first floor was restored to much of its original splendor- with restorations to the wood and stone floors, wood trim work, fireplaces, wood wainscot paneling, casework, kitchen, and ornate sculpted plaster ceilings and plaster walls; among others. Beside new office space on the second floor- new bathrooms, a kitchenette, and production room were added. The third floor was restored and modified with its own offices and kitchenette to be subleased to other not-for-profit organizations. The elevator serving the first and second floors was outfitted with new safety equipment and finishes within the cab. The main boiler serving most of the building’s heating needs was replaced in the basement, and split systems for air conditioning were both added and replaced. Exterior renovations included full restoration of the first floor’s French doors and windows by Artisan Restoration Company. The second and third floor windows were replaced by Hof Construction with new Marvin windows. The stone façade was tuck-pointed and cleaned, including full tuck-pointing of all chimneys and a rebuild of one of the chimneys with new flues and slush topping. Chimneys were outfitted with new flue tops and bird screens. Much of the slate and copper roof was repaired and leaks closed. The integral copper gutter was lined and coated with an epoxy gutter lining application. All of the exterior wood work was scraped and repainted. The existing underground drainage system was opened back up and partially replaced.